There once was a little vegetable named cauliflower. He was the awkward pale cousin of broccoli and nobody liked him... But then one day Adrienne mixed him with cheese and breadcrumbs and he was the most popular veggie in the produce aisle! Okay veggie tales aside, most people don't enjoy plain steamed cauliflower... I personally love it but for those of you who don't, these tots will get you on the cauliflower train. They mask the cauliflower so well that you'd never even know you were eating it... The cheese and breadcrumbs create a perfect medium to roll finely chopped cauliflower into cute little balls. Let's get to the recipe.
Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste
Makes about 28 tots. Each tot is 25 calories.
- 2 cups of steamed cauliflower, minced or finely chopped*
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh minced flat parsley
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded Italian cheese
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs + some to sprinkle
- salt, pepper & garlic powder
- cooking spray
*I recommend cooking the whole head of cauliflower and snacking on the leftovers while you're waiting for these babies to cook ;)
1. preheat oven to 400 F
2. cook the cauliflower using a steamer basket (about 8 minutes) or steam the cauliflower in about 1/4 inch of water in a large covered frying pan (about 5 minutes) -- the cauliflower should be tender but not mushy
3. drain the cauliflower and pat dry with a paper towel
4. mince or finely chop the steamed cauliflower (I used my food processor... easiest way to chop... #lazy)
5. mix all the ingredients together in a medium sized bowl
6. season with salt, pepper & garlic powder (to taste)
7. scoop 1 tbsp of the mixture into you hands and roll into balls
8. place balls onto greased baking sheet
9. sprinkle a small amount of breadcrumbs over each ball
10. bake for about 22-24 minutes or until golden
These little guys are perfect to serve as a side dish or appetizer! Enjoy and happy hump day y'all!