I'm obsessed with sweet potatoes...
Have you noticed?!
So I have a bad habit of getting obsessed with certain ingredients and/or meals and cooking them to death... I’ve come close to doing that with these sweet potato and black bean quesadillas.
I ordered these bad boys at a vegetarian restaurant in town a while back and decided that I could make them for much cheaper and I did… BAM! And then I made them like 50 times after that… I love them and so does Tom. Obsession.
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas
Makes about 4 six inch quesadillas
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into little cubes)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 8 six inch tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese of your choice (I like Italian. Tom uses Mexican.)
1. preheat oven to 400 F
2. place sweet potato cubes in a medium sized bowl and drizzle with oil
3. sprinkle spices over cubes and toss to coat
4. spread cubes out on a greased baking sheet and cook for 30-35 minutes (or until tender)
5. heat up a large skillet over medium-high heat
6. place one tortilla on the skillet, sprinkle with 1/8 cup of cheese, add sweet potato cubes and black beans, plus another 1/8 cup of cheese and top off with a second tortilla
7. cook the quesadilla for about 2 minutes on each side (or until cheese melts and tortilla is golden) - I recommend pressing the quesadilla down with another heavy skillet while it's cooking
8. Serve with salsa and a margarita!
I plan to add jalapeños and bacon to this recipe at some point... I'll make sure to share my results. ;)