More soup! I told y'all it was soup season! Last one for a while though... Donuts and more doughnuts are up next because it's also doughnut season (and I can't decide which way I prefer to spell donuts so I'm just going to just throw both around)!
It's really starting to cool off here in Michigan so a quick and easy soup recipe is exactly what I want for dinner when I get home from work. Now don't confuse "quick and easy" for lack of flavor. This bad boy has TONS of garlic plus ground cumin seed and Hungarian paprika which give off nice savory and spicy notes. Though, the totally awesome best part about this soup is that it’s super smooth and creamy with only a few tablespoons of Greek yogurt! It's also very low in fat and healthy! I just love all those things, don't you?
Quick and Easy Sweet Potato Soup
Yields: 9 cups
Calories: 125 calories per cup
Total Time: less than 45 minutes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed with a knife
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper + more to taste
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Hungarian paprika
- 3-4 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
1. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat.
2. Once the oil is hot, add onions and crushed garlic to the Dutch oven. Saute about 3-4 minutes or until garlic is golden and onions are translucent.
3. Add in sweet potato cubes and spices, stir to coat then pour in vegetable broth.
4. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and simmer (lid off) for about 30 minutes or until sweet potato cubes are very tender (stirring occasionally).
5. Reduce heat to low then emulsify the mixture using an immersion blender. Stir in yogurt, blend once more, season with salt and pepper (if needed, to taste), ladle into bowls and serve!
I've been eating my soup with a couple slices of delicious Amish oatmeal bread. IT'S SO GOOD. There is a great Amish store where Tom's parents live and his mom always sends me a loaf (thanks Jo!). She's awesome!
Side note: OMG Y'ALL... I'm almost done reading Gone Girl and all I can say is OH MY GOODNESS. This book is amazing!! I'm having such a hard time putting it down!! Like right now, I want to be reading but I need to blog! And a couple nights ago, I stayed up until 1am reading and that's way past my bed time... So if you haven't read this book yet, you should! I highly recommend it and I haven't even finished it. Hopefully I won't be disappointed! :)