I’ve always had a difficult time with night photography. My photos always end up with ugly shadows and glares… Shooting in natural light is much easier and I love the way the photos turn out. The only problem with shooting in natural day light is the day part. I work full time during the week so this this limits my photo sessions to the weekends...
I was on a mission to figure out how to take great photos at night and I stumbled upon Minimalist Baker’s Blogger Resources… Oh my goodness, they are awesome. I used their tutorial on how to take night photos and I love how my photos turned out. I’m so happy I’ve learned this new skill because now my photography times aren’t limited. Yeehaw! I highly recommend reading their blog and using their resources if you are a new blogger or want to become one!
Ok on to the food... I have been trying to find time to make this recipe for WEEKS! Remember how I told you that I was obsessed with sweet potatoes? I wasn’t lying… More sweet potatoes! I love this recipe because it’s everything free. Gluten free and vegan! What what, awesomeness! I’m really fond of recipes that make vegetables the star ingredient. Meat needs to step aside and let veggies shine! Recipes like this make my tummy so happy.
A "creamy" sauce made with NO dairy...? Music to my ears! Dairy and I don't really get along... So when I read that this sauce is made with almond milk and cashews, I was in awe. This cashew lime sauce is the perfect amount of creamy and tangy. I seriously want to dip everything in it. And I might just do that for the next week because I have a whole jar full... Or I'll just eat with a spoon. :)
Sweet Potato Tacos with Cashew Lime Sauce
Recipe from A House in the Hills
Serves 4. 115 calories per taco.
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in water for at least 5 hours)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3-4 limes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 red cabbage (finely chopped)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (sliced and de-seeded)
- corn tortillas
- cilantro (chopped)
Directions for cashew lime sauce:
1. combine almond milk, drained cashews, sea salt and fresh lime juice from 3-4 limes in a blender and blend until creamy
2. adjust lime juice and salt to taste (sauce should be tangy and not too thick - if it's too thick add more almond milk one tbsp at a time)
Directions for sweet potatoes & tacos:
1. bring a large pot of salted water to boil
2. peel sweet potatoes and cut into large spears (one potato should yield about eight spears)
3. boil spears for about 7-9 minutes (or until slightly soft)
4. preheat oven to 300 F
5. heat a large skill over medium heat, add oil to coat then add sweet potato spears and cook for 6-8 minutes on each side (or until golden and slightly charred)
6. warm up tortillas by placing them on the rack of a preheated oven (300 F) and cook on each side for about one minute
7. place one sweet potato spear on each tortilla then top with cabbage, jalapeño, cashew lime sauce, cilantro, a little lime juice and a dash of sea salt then drool and devour!
Happy Taco Tuesday. I love tacos.