This stuff is like crack. Seriously. CRACK.
I made this Wednesday night for dinner and we ate half the bowl… Whoops. We could not get enough! I don’t feel guilty though because it’s so low in calories. Score.
This chicken salad is crunchy, creamy, zesty, tangy and everything amazing. All I want to do right now is eat more of it.
Let’s talk apples. The produce section is always bursting with a bajillion (yes, this is a real word) types of apples each with their own flavor variation. So where does one begin choosing the best apple for this recipe? Hmm... Well I wanted a tart flavor so I went with the good ole’ granny smith. It is the tartest (is that even a word?) of all the apples in produce land and in my opinion, it is the best apple for this recipe. I’m sure any another old apple will work just fine but if you have a choice go granny.
Granny Smith’s Chicken Salad
Makes 6 ¾ cups. 126 calories per ¾ cup.
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast (Directions: sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder then pour fresh lime juice from one lime over chicken and bake @ 400 F for about 28 minutes – flipping over half way through)
- 2 cups of chopped granny smith apple (from one large apple)
- 1 ½ cups red seedless grapes (sliced in half)
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 5.3oz container of plain greek yogurt (about ½ cup)
- 2 tbsp reduced fat olive oil mayo
- fresh lemon juice from about 1 ½ lemons
- salt, pepper and garlic powder (to taste)
- your choice of roll or food vehicle (I used whole wheat ciabatta rolls, however, any type of bread or roll will do... your could even use lettuce wraps or your hands...)
1. mix all ingredients together in a large bowl
2. season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
3. scoop ¾ cup of chicken salad on to your roll and EAT
Extra: I highly recommend adding slices of avocado to this sandwich – you will not regret this (I’ve literally never eaten anything that was worsened by adding avocado… Or bacon really.)
Until tomorrow homies.