I seriously can't remember the last time I had an actual hamburger... Sad, I know. I usually eat veggie burgers or turkey burgers so I thought... Why not mix the two together?! Now we have turkey veggie burgers and all their deliciousness!
When I think of turkey, usually only two things come to mind... Thanksgiving and lunch meat. I always forget about ground turkey... It's both lean and flavorful! I need to remember to buy it more often... That's your job from now on. Remind me to buy more ground turkey. Much appreciated.
Let's talk veggies. It shouldn't be news to you that I love vegetables. I sneak them into anything and everything... Including burgers. Surprise! So why corn? Because it's crunchy. Why carrots? Because I love carrots, they are always in my fridge and when shredded they make a perfect filler. Why jalapenos? Because burgers should be spicy. Why scallions? I don't know. Figured I needed some sort of onion... Hey at least I'm honest. ;)
Turkey Veggie Burgers
Makes 4 monster burgers. 310 calories per burger (not including the bun).
- 1.25 lbs lean ground turkey (I used 93% lean)
- 1 cup steamed corn
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 bunch scallions (about 5), thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- your favorite buns
- toppings of your choice (I used lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, mustard and chimichurri sauce)
1. mix all the veggies and spices together in a medium sized bowl until the spices are evenly dispersed
2. stir in ground turkey until well combined
3. pour breadcrumbs into a small bowl and set aside
4. divide turkey veggie mixture into 4 equally sized balls
5. roll each ball in the breadcrumbs until covered then flatten into a patty shape and set aside on a large plate
6. preheat oven to 300 F
7. heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat
8. cook the patties in the skillet for about 6-8 minutes on each side
9. a couple minutes before the patties are done, toast the buns in the preheated oven for about 2-3 minutes
10. once the patties are cooked and buns are toasted, assemble the burgers with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
We've had these three times in the last two weeks... Definitely becoming a staple in our house. Hope you enjoy!