I don't know about y'all but any recipe the begins with "bacon wrapped" has definitely got my attention...
Clearly, it grabs yours too. ;)
I'm a huge fan of taking strong flavored ingredients and squishing them into cute little servings. Why you ask? Because when you take a bite it's BAM FLAVOR IN YOUR FACE. I love when food does that to me. Don't you? You should.
These bacon wrapped peppers and eggs are perfect because you only need seven ingredients to make them... Six of which you should probably always have in your fridge, especially bacon. ALWAYS have bacon in your fridge. Bacon is a food group and makes everything better. Except maybe heart disease...
Bacon Wrapped Peppers and Eggs
Makes 4 egg cups. 188 calories per cup.
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 4 ounces of 50/50 spring mix/baby spinach blend lettuce or just plain spinach
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 sweet mini peppers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 500 F
2. Arrange two rows of six sweet mini peppers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper then drizzle with olive oil and bake for about 15-20 minutes, flipping the peppers over half way though
3. Once the peppers are slightly charred, remove them from the oven and chop off the tops then set aside
4. While the peppers are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until it's almost done but still soft and bendable
5. Remove bacon from the skillet (BUT KEEP THE GREASE) and place cooked bacon on a plate lined with paper towel to soak up some of the grease
6. Remove all but about 3 tablespoons of bacon grease from the skillet and reduce the heat to low
7. Add minced garlic to the skillet and cook for about 30 seconds then add lettuce/spinach and cook until wilted then remove from skillet and set aside
8. Spray a muffin tin (I used an extra large six cup muffin tin but a normal sized one will work as well) with cooking spray, wrap bacon around the inside wall of the muffin cup, then scoop 1/4 of the lettuce/spinach mixture into the bottom of each bacon wrapped muffin cup. Next, add three charred peppers on top of the lettuce/spinach mixture then crack an egg over the peppers. Lastly, sprinkle salt and pepper over the egg and cook for 20-25 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs
9. Remove muffin tin from the oven and let egg cups cool slightly. Scoop the cups out of the tin and serve!
[Recipe adapted from How Sweet Eats]
I ate my bacon wrapped peppers and egg cup with a little bit of sriracha and it was divine (cue candy crush voice)...
Thoughts? Give em' to me!! Happy Tuesday!