First thing I thought when I woke up yesterday morning: "I need banana bread in my life..."
Second thing I thought: "THANK GOD it's Sunday... I don't have to run today" Ha!
So normally, I'm not very hungry in the morning (I seriously never eat breakfast)... But yesterday I woke up craving my mom's famous banana bread. Okay... It's not really famous (besides in our family) but it's honestly the BEST I've ever had. I have her amazing recipe, that I've sworn never to share, but mine never turns out quite as good as hers. Momma must bake some love in there or something! ;)
My mom's recipe isn't vegan... It's full of all things delicious like butter and eggs, but I found a HUGE bag of flax seed on sale at Home Goods on Saturday and I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could make a vegan banana bread that was still moist (sorry Kate) and full of flavor! Verdict?
Obviously I succeeded because you're currently reading my blog post about this recipe.... Duh guys.
These little gems are moist (again, sorry Kate), light and fluffy plus full of banana oat brown sugary goodness. Sound good to you? I thought so... Let's get to the baking.
Vegan Banana Bread Mini Muffins
Yield: 42 mini muffins (61 calories per muffin)
Total time: less than 25 minutes
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup peeled and mashed overripe bananas (I used 4 medium sized bananas)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar + extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup sweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- vegetable oil spray (or any other vegan non-stick spray)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Grease a 24 cup mini muffin tin with vegetable oil spray (or spray/oil of your choice)
2. In a small bowl, mix together flaxseed meal and water. Let this mixture sit for about five minutes in order to thicken.
3. In a medium sized bowl, combine dry ingredients (flours, oats, baking soda and salt) mix until well combined.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, flaxseed water mixture, brown sugar, almond milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
5. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until a batter forms.
6. Using a large spoon, scoop batter into mini muffin cups. Fill each muffin cup about half way full.
7. Sprinkle brown sugar over tops of batter then cook for about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown (mine took about 13 minutes).
8. Allow muffins to cool slightly on a wire rack then enjoy!
I ate these mini muffins with peanut butter (what's new... I'm obsessed with peanut butter). Tom ate his with butter.. Making the muffin no longer vegan haha. Silly boy.
I love mini muffins because smaller servings equal less calories! They are also super fun to eat and adorable in photographs due to their miniature size. I'm assuming you can make normal sized muffins, extra large muffins and actual bread with this recipe, however, I have not tried it so I'm not sure about the different bake times. If you do decide to make these in mini form or a different form, make sure to let me know how it worked! Happy Monday Homies.