Caution, this is me rambling and has nothing to do with this recipe: I swear every time I need to type the word oveN, I write oveR and every time I need to type the word oveR, I write oveN. I can't tell y'all how many times I've written "preheat the oveR..." Moving on. Look at this pizza...
OveR the last couple months I've seen several whipped feta recipes... And even though I generally avoid cheese, this whipped feta thing had me very intrigued. Which whipped feta recipe was my favorite you ask? This one from How Sweet Eats because it's ridiculously simple and super whipped! Needless to say, it was definitely the inspiration for this glorious pizza.
I italicized the word generally up there when discussing my avoidance of cheese for a good reason and I'll tell you why. I do generally try to avoid cheese because these days it's sprinkled and/or smothered on top of everything when I'm sure the recipe tasted just wonderful without the cheese, added calories and future tummy issues. Times I don't avoid cheese are when the cheese is amazing crumbly feta whipped together with cream cheese. Plus it's not like I'm eating the whole batch of whipped feta... Just a few ounces spread over the best pizza crust ever. Oh and did I mention that I made this whipped feta even better by whipping in a whole HEAD of roasted garlic...? Well I did. Cue the drooling, unless you're a vampire. Sorry, the last season of True Blood is on HBO right now and I've got vampires on the brain (Eric Northman... drool again).
P.S. This pizza gets better.
Let's recap... Deliciously whipped roasted garlic feta spread over the best most fluffiest pizza crust there ever was. Now let's add bacon, spinach and artichoke hearts!! Oh my. Let the foodies rejoice! And let's get to the recipe...
Whipped Roasted Garlic Feta, Bacon, and Artichoke Pizza
As always but especially with this recipe, read the entire recipe before starting to cook!
Yields: 1 pizza
Calories: Don't worry about it, this pizza is too delicious to care.
Total time: about 2 hours
Ingredients for the Dough:
- 1 1/4 cup warm water (between 105-110 F) + a few extra tablespoons
- 1 envelope (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil + extra to coat
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
Directions for the Dough:
Recommendation 1: Set out feta and cream cheese from whipped feta recipe (below) in order for them to come to room temperature.
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine water, honey, olive oil, and yeast. Let sit about 5-10 minutes for the mixture to become foamy. If the mixture does not foam, start over with new yeast.
2. To the bowl, add 2 1/2 cups flour and salt, then mix on medium-low speed until mixture starts to come together. Add in remaining 1/2 cup flour and increase the speed to medium. Once the mixture comes together and forms a ball, knead for several minutes. If the mixture doesn't come together, add more warm water, one tablespoon at a time until a dough ball forms. You want the dough to be sticky but not wet so if you do add more water, knead the dough for at least thirty seconds after each tablespoon before adding more water.
3. Coat a large bowl with olive oil and set the kneaded dough ball in it. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let sit in a warm area to rise for at least 1 hour. I set my bowl on the back of my stove top with the oven preheat to 200 F.
Recommendation 2: Prep whipped feta and pizza toppings while waiting for dough to rise!
4. Coat a large surface with flour. Once the dough rises (doubles in size), plop the dough onto your floured surface and punch it down. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into the shape and thickness of your desired pizza crust.
5. Transfer the rolled out dough/crust onto a baking sheet or pizza stone. Now your dough is ready for toppings!
[Dough Recipe inspired by The Food Network/Wolfgang Puck]
Ingredients for the Whipped Roasted Garlic Feta:
- 1 head of garlic
- olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz crumbled feta at room temperature
- 3 oz whipped cream cheese at room temperature
Directions for the Whipped Roasted Garlic Feta:
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Slice off the top of the garlic head to expose all the cloves inside.
3. Set garlic head in foil, drizzle with olive oil, top with salt and pepper then wrap up the foil to enclose the head.
4. Roast the wrapped up garlic head in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until light brown and tender. Once roasted, remove from the oven and undo the foil. Let cool slightly so you can handle it. Squeeze the bottom of the garlic head to release the tender cloves into a small bowl then set aside.
5. Place feta in a food processor and pulse until only small chunks remain. Add in roasted garlic cloves and whipped cream cheese then process for about 4-5 minutes or until extra creamy. You will probably need to scrape down the sides of the food processor every minute or so to cream the mixture evenly.
6. Once the mixture is extra super creamy, scoop out into a small bowl and set aside.
[Whipped Roasted Garlic Feta Recipe slightly adapted from How Sweet Eats]
Ingredients for the Pizza:
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
Recommendation 3: Cook the bacon until golden brown but still tender. The bacon will cook more and become crispy on the pizza so you don't want to start out with already crispy bacon.
- 15 oz can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and cut into thirds
- 2/3 cup chopped spinach
- 8 oz whipped roasted garlic feta (from above)
- homemade pizza dough (from above)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- garlic powder
- olive oil
Directions for the Pizza:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Brush the entire already rolled out and on baking sheet homemade pizza dough from above generously with olive oil. Using a spatula, spread the whipped feta all over the dough leaving a one inch crust whipped feta free. Sprinkle crust area with garlic powder.
3. Top whipped feta with spinach, artichoke hearts and bacon. I sprinkled the chopped spinach on top first, then added artichoke hearts and finished it off with bacon chunks.
4. Season pizza with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (to your liking) then bake for about 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden and the toppings are melted into the whipped feta.
5. Allow pizza to cool slightly then slice and serve!!!
What do y'all think?! Sounds amazing right?! Right. Go make this and report back. I'd seriously love that!!
Some of y'all have made my stuff, photographed it, and tagged me via Instagram... This makes ME SO HAPPY!!! Thanks for following along on my cooking adventure! It means the world to me! Happy Thursday!