right now I am somewhere in Pennsylvania making our 10 hour trek home from Virginia... We are past the halfway point which is super nice because I'm ready to be home! Vacation was a blast. You can see a few pictures from the past week on my Instagram but for now here are some recipe reviews :)
monday - roasted red pepper pasta
recipe inspiration: simple roasted red pepper pasta
ways i altered the recipe:
1. used cashews in the sauce instead of almonds or pine nuts
2. didn't mix in mozzarella or burrata
3. added 16 oz of diced bacon
4. didn't top with watercress because I forgot.... fail. or fig because I thought that sounded weird.
- the recipe was super easy and quick, which is very nice for a weeknight! the flavors were also delicious. the combination of roasted red peppers and sun-dried tomatoes created a slightly sweet, tangy, and light yet creamy sauce that coated the gemelli and rotini pasta really well.
- i definitely think this dish needs a meat so adding bacon was a great idea! ground sausage or turkey could also be a wonderful addition.
rating: 4 out of 5 stars
make again? definitely! great weeknight quick, easy, and delicious meal!
tuesday - vacation!
wednesday - vacation!!
thursday - vacation!!!
friday - vacation!!!!
road trip snack #1: texas trash chex mix
recipe inspiration: addictive texas trash
ways I altered the recipe:
1. used kix cereal instead of cheerios because kix is my jam
2. no mixed nuts
3. two 12 oz bags of oyster crackers instead of goldfish and sesame sticks
4. coconut oil instead of butter
5. no msg or liquid smoke flavor
- this stuff is so addicting!!! it's my like 10th time making it and I love it for road trips. be careful though, it's no joke additive...
- I love how crunchy and spicy this mix is. it's got such a great spice kick and covers all my salt and garlic needs. seriously so gooood.
rating: 5 out of 5 stars
make again: clearly haha since I've already made it so many times!
road trip snack #2: tom's favorite chocolate chip cookies
recipe inspiration: original nestlé® toll house® chocolate chip cookies
ways I altered the recipe:
1. I actually realized that I do change this recipe slightly... I use dark chocolate chips instead of milk or semi-sweet because we prefer dark chocolate. other than that... if it ain't broke, don't fix it :)
- so chewy and delicious. the perfect cookie.
- this is tom's favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe and my second favorite chocolate chip recipe to date. i'll post my first favorite on here soon!
road trip snack #3: crudités with homemade italian vinaigrette
recipe inspiration: crudités with italian vinaigrette
1. no parmesan cheese
2. veggies of choice: baby carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber :)
Soooo... I ran out of time to make this dressing or get more veggies at the store. We just had plain carrots and cherry tomatoes for the trip.... Still healthy and yummy though!!
thought? questions? let me hear them! happy sunday!