WOAH. Where are we?! How is it already 2017?! So many things have happened in the past six months but I'll write more about that in another post. Today I'm here to get back to food and blogging. I've missed this space so much in the past six months (year really...) and I'm super excited to be back!
I first made this recipe almost one year ago and I've made it at least ten times since then because it's SO GOOD AND EASY. It's also perfect for this time of year since people are all about being healthy and are still committed to those unrealistic New Year's Resolutions... Including myself. Zero judgment.
Have I mentioned that I love zucchini?! Because I really do. AND it's the only kind of squash that Tom has admitted to liking ha (though I know he secretly likes butternut squash too). We eat tons of grilled zucchini in the summer but zucchini noodles AKA zoodles are so fun and a nice change of pace from the standard grilled zucchini. If you don't have a spiralizer, no problem! Watch this video to learn how to make zoodles without one. You can do it! Promise.
Bursting cherry tomatoes provide so much tangy flavor to this "pasta" dish! They are like little exploding flavor bombs. And who doesn't love flavor bombs?! Also, this "cream" sauce is my go to dairy-free sauce! It's so easily altered for whatever taste/flavor you want in your pasta dish. Seriously, I haven't made another dairy-free cream sauce since I found this one! Try it, you won't regret it! So yeah, this recipe contains no meat, dairy, or gluten but if you're in to those things - it's easy to substitute!! Use normal milk or flour if you'd like plus mixing in some grilled chicken or ground beef would taste great and add a nice source of protein! Let's get to the recipe.
creamy garlic zoodles with bursting cherry tomatoes
total time: about 30 minutes
specialty diets: vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 shallot, diced
5 garlic cloves, chopped finely (or minced)
sea salt + freshly cracked pepper
2 tablespoons almond flour
1 teaspoon corn starch
1 1/4 cup lite coconut milk
zoodles + bursting cherry tomatoes
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
sea salt + freshly cracked pepper
2 large zucchini, spiralized + patted dry with paper towel to remove excessive moisture
red pepper flakes
1. preheat oven to 400F
2. in a medium sized bowl, toss tomatoes in 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil plus a little sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast for about 20 minutes!
3. heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a small/medium-sized sauce pan over medium-high heat. add in the diced shallot and garlic cloves plus a healthy dash of sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. stir frequently and cook for about 3-4 minutes (shallot and garlic should be fragrant and soft).
4. stir in the almond flour and corn starch then mix with a whisk. once the flour and corn starch are incorporated into the oil, slowly whisk in the coconut milk! i add a little at a time and whisk very quickly so clumps don’t form.
5. once all the coconut milk is whisked in, continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes to thicken. then reduce heat to low and simmer the sauce until it reaches your desired thickness. taste and adjust seasonings as you see fit! (optional step: use an immersion blender to blend the sauce until creamy and smooth)
6. add one tablespoon olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. add zoodles plus a pinch of paprika then sauté for about 3-5 minutes or until zoodles are soft-ish but not limp.
7. stir in cream sauce (completed in step five) and bursting cherry tomatoes (from step one) then cook for another 3-5 minutes or until zoodles are soft and resemble spaghetti noodles.
8. divide zoodle mixture into two bowls, top with a pinch of red pepper flakes then EAT.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment or tag a photo #appetitesanonymous on Instagram!! I'd love to see your zoodles in action. Peace, friends!
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I use all of the products listed above and recommend them because they are companies that I have found helpful and trustworthy. Please let me know if you have any questions!