i believe i have alluded to this on the blog before but i have a very sensitive stomach. it's been that way ever since i can remember. everyone has their thing: some people always have headaches, catch colds or the flu, have allergies, etc... the list could go on and on. but me?! i always get stomach aches. it's my thing. lucky me haha. some foods cause more issues (aka dairy) than others and some foods don't bother me at all! so for the past several years, i've just been keeping track of what foods bother my stomach and then avoiding them (or just suffering through them when it's things like brussel sprouts because OMG I LOVE THEM). when i discovered these cookies on Gal Meets Glam (p.s. this chick is beyond adorable), i quickly discovered that i could eat these cookies with only a few tweaks and keep a happy tummy! sooooo with no further ado... happy tummy cookies!
so pretty!! also, i'm clearly obsessed with this blue striped linen.
happy tummy cookies
yield: 20 cookies
calories: 93 calories per cookie
total time: about 45 minutes
specialty diets: gluten-free, vegan
1 heaping cup pitted medjool dates, soaked for 10 minutes in hot water then drained
2 tablespoons almond butter (or peanut butter)
1 tablespoon molasses
1 ripe banana, sliced into several one-inch pieces
3/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 chopped/crushed unsalted cashews (i put my whole cashews in a ziploc bag, seal it, then smash them with a meat tenderizer)
1/2 cup rice krispies, divided (could also sub in crushed rice chex instead)
1. preheat oven to 350f
2. add soaked and drained dates to a food processor then pulse until only small bits remain (less than 30 seconds).
3. add almond butter, molasses, and banana slices to the bowl of the food processor then pulse a few times. next add almond meal, rice flour, cashews, and half (1/4 cup) of the rice krispies to the food processor and pulse a few more times or until all ingredients are incorporated into each other. scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula between pulses.
4. move the mixture from the food processor to a medium sized bowl. using a spatula, stir in remaining rice krispies (1/4 cup). try really hard not to crush them!
5. refrigerate the "cookie" dough for about 10 minutes. meanwhile, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
6. using a tablespoon, scoop out some dough then roll it into a one inch diameter ball. continue with the remaining dough then arrange dough balls on the cookie sheet. sprinkle a little almond meal or rice flour over the balls then flatten them using a fork with criss-cross impressions (like a peanut butter cookie).
7. bake at 350f for about 17-19 minutes then enjoy!
hopefully these cookies make your monday better! only four more days until the weekend... we can do it!!!
if you try this recipe, let me know! leave a comment or tag a photo #appetitesanonymous on instagram!! i'd love to see your cookies in action. also, some pretty pin-able photos with text are below. feel free to do your thing if you love pinterest. peace, friends!
disclaimer: please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and i will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. i use all of the products listed above and recommend them because they are awesome. just an fyizzle. love your support!