you guys... these sliders are sooooooo goooooooooood. go home and make these right now. you won't regret it! trust me.
also, because I know someone is thinking that I spelled chili wrong. peppers can be chile or chili or even chilli. take yo pick. thanks wiki.
this recipe all started because i found this list of the best trader joe's products of all time. naturally, i clicked through all 78 items then went promptly to my nearest trader joe's to buy most of them. my favorite item so far is this chile lime seasoning because guys.. omg. it's so good. the perfect combination of spicy, salty, and zesty. and like it says... it's good on everything!!!!!!!!!!! i haven't eaten avocado toast without since i purchased it.
p.s. this post is not sponsored by trader joe's - i just love that place and everything they sell.
so yeah, these sliders are full of lean ground chicken, chile lime seasoning, el yucateco's chile habanero hot sauce, cumin, and garlic plus a whole bunch of chopped cilantro and green onions. so much flavor y'all!!!!!!! add pretzel slider buns and some delicious toppings... like my amazing avocado lime sour cream and you're ready to serve these babies at your next get together or... super bowl party i might suggest!?
yep, i did suggest it. do it. the real tom brady agrees. and by the real tom brady... i mean my husband (whose hand is pictured below lol), not the one playing in the super bowl. though, that tom brady probably wouldn't mind you eating these while he kicks some falcon butt on sunday.
chile lime chicken sliders
yield: 18 sliders
calories: 100 per slider (not including bun or toppings)
total time: about 35 minutes
specialty diets: can be dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free (see specialty diet recipe modifications after the ingredient list)
2 lbs ground chicken
2 large eggs*
1/2 cup bread crumbs**
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (about half of a bunch)
1/2 cup sliced green onions (about one bunch)
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons el yucateco's chile habanero hot sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons chile lime seasoning
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
18 slider buns** (i used pretzel buns but any slider buns will do!)
18 hors' d'oeuvre/cocktail picks (i used these 4 inch bamboo ones)
roma tomatoes (~3 should be enough/6 slices each)
romaine lettuce (one head/torn into slider sized pieces)
red onions (one small/thinly sliced)
provolone cheese slices (6 slices/sliced into thirds)***
avocado lime sour cream: 1 avocado + 1/4 cup sour cream+ 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice + a pinch of salt... mash all ingredients together in a small bowl until well combined (add more salt or lime juice if necessary)***
Side note: according to tom, these sliders are way better without tomato and lettuce so those can be optional toppings. I prefer the sliders with all my suggested toppings but do as you wish!
specialty diet recipe modifications:
*egg-free: substitute normal eggs for two flax seed eggs
**gluten-free: substitute bread crumbs for almond meal or gluten-free bread crumbs
***dairy-free: omit the provolone cheese from toppings; omit the sour cream then mash together one avocado with a 1/2 tablespoon lime juice plus a pinch of salt
1. preheat oven to 400f. line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. in a large bowl, mix together ground chicken, eggs, bread crumbs, cilantro, green onions, garlic, hot sauce, chile lime seasoning, cumin, and pepper until well combined.
3. using a spoon, scoop out a small handful of the ground chicken mixture then flatten it into a ~2.5 inch diameter patty. place slider patty on the lined baking sheet then repeat until all the chicken mixture is gone (this should be about 18 slider patties).
4. bake for about 20-25 minutes, flipping over halfway through. if adding cheese, do this when there is about 2 minutes left of cooking time. while the patties are cooking, prep your toppings!!!
5. spread the avocado lime sour cream on top slider bun. top the bottom bun with the slider patty then the romaine lettuce piece then the red onion slice then the roma tomato slice then (finally) add the top bun with the avocado lime sour cream and secure the whole slider with an hors' d'oeuvre/cocktail pick. repeat with remaining sliders then serve on a pretty platter!
happy February foodie friends!!!!!!!!! yayyyyy for my birthday month.
if you try this recipe, let me know! leave a comment or tag a photo #appetitesanonymous on instagram!! i'd love to see your sliders in action. also, some pretty pin-able photos with text are below. feel free to do your thing if you love pinterest. peace, friends!
disclaimer: please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and i will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. i use all of the products listed above and recommend them because they are awesome. just an fyizzle. love your support!